Saturday, May 19, 2012

Love is the Answer

Yesterday a parent came into my office to speak to me. She wanted to talk to me because her daughter had come to me admitting what a difficult time she was having at school, and at home. Eventually, her daughter admitted to me that she was depressed. When this parent sat down in my office, I was SO nervous. What do I know about these issues? How can I comfort or console this woman? Ultimately, I am 26 years old with very little life experience- how am I supposed to even pretend to relate to what this family is going through?


So I listened. And I realized- people have REAL problems. And I do NOT. I was so humbled that this woman chose to share part of her life with me. What have I ever done to be trusted to talk to? This whole last week, I have been COMPLETELY wrapped up in my own life- my problems, my fears, what does this all mean for me. Even in adoration I am approaching Jesus telling him all about my own insecurities and what I want to happen in my life. I'm not saying that doing that is necessarily a bad thing, however, I have totally lost sight of the real world. In the real world, people are deciding if they should stay in an unhappy marriage for the sake of their children. In the real world, middle school teens are getting bullied. In the real world, people are dying. In my world, I am obsessing over whether a boy likes me. Lame.


At times like these I realize how much farther I really have to go to grow in holiness. I just wish that God would snap his fingers and make me the woman he created me to be. I HATE that I can be so self-absorbed. Yesterday, I was talking to a friend about what it really means to love. I think I should reflect more on this idea.


Here are a few of the things I came up with:


1. Love is a choice.
2. Love is the everyday action that you take when you wake up in the morning and think to yourself- "what can I do for this person, so that he/she KNOWS that I love them today."
3. Love means caring about the other person's soul more than your own gratification. This one seems so obvious, but especially in dating relationships it seems like we have this never ending list of what we "need" from our significant other. Then suddenly, the relationship becomes about me- what I want, what I need- instead of loving the other person for exactly who they are.


It's so easy for me to practice love with friends. Or imagine loving my future spouse this way. But when push comes to shove, I am called to love EVERY person that walks through my office doors this way. That means that I have to stop thinking about myself so much. I have to start being more intentional with everyday interactions. I can't do any of this without His grace. Jesus, teach me to love.

1 comment: